Not sure? For ideas, browse our Picture Dictionary of House Styles.
Feeling creative? Draw a picture or use graphics software to create a rendering of your dream house. Submit your dream house design.
- I like the dutch colonial revival with the gambrel roof, and also the standard colonial revival.
- —Guest gary p.
Give Me a Ranch
- I love the classic Raised Ranch. The home can be small in square footage but has potential to be designed in such a way that it feels bigger.
- —Guest Sandra
- This late Victorian house style is found all over New Orleans. It's named after the British architect Charles Locke Eastlake, a furniture maker known for detailed woodwork. Eastlake houses have these fancy details. Very beautiful. [Note: edited response]
- —Guest ENRIQUE GARCIA
A Pyramid House style is No. 1
- My favorite style is a pyramid home. It has all the benefits of low initial cost, low maintenance along with strength and energy efficiency. By using SIPs for the exterior shell and combining engineered wood products with a Permanent Wood Foundation, it is the No. 1 Green & Solar home, all because of the maximum use of renewable material resources. The south facing large triangular shaped 52° angle sloped roof is the perfect sloped platform for integrated roof solar systems (both thermal and photovoltaic). Check them out for yourself by searching online. They are in phi proportioned scale... as with the Louvre pyramid in Paris by I.M. Pei and the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt (the last remaining wonder of the ancient world, so one may rightfully claim their classical heritage as being the oldest and at the same time, the newest style when compared with all the other styles in this architectural opinion poll. Hint: you may want to add pyramids to your dictionary of house styles.
- Living in Massachusetts, my favorite is the New England Salt Box.
- —Guest Ken Layne
- Since childhood, the Craftsman style home has been my favorite, with an expansive front porch, dormered front upstairs bedroom, spacious rooms and plentiful use of oak woodwork throughout. Large, wood framed archways between entranceway, living and dining rooms and stained glass windows compete my idea of a dream home.
- —Guest Helen Faught
My Favorite Style
- I grew up in a Tudor style home like this. I loved it but we sold it to move to Kansas where my Parents' Stereo Shop was. I cried as I never wanted to move from there. Since I have married, I've moved into 7 different homes, one of them a mobile home. The one we live in now is a split level. It's not my Fav. but it is paid for. I love the Second Empire & Victorian homes but up keep now is impossible. We will stay here till we pass away or if I get my way a small wood cabin in the woods. I love the outdoors but it will take at least 3 months to dig up all my flowers & bushes & I do not see that happening but one can dream can't they? Lenett Morgan Waite
- —Guest Lenett
- The Chinese Classic is reflective of a Forbidden City type residential transplant. This is my favorite house style because of the architectural timeless expressiveness of this structural art form that has been culturally fine tuned over the centuries, capturing the eye with its juxtaposed harmonious brilliant rich colors and a design divergence from the typical residential dwelling. Appreciated the style so much that I transformed my own home into an ageless Chinese Classic., complete with a golden roof.
Prairie house diamond ring
- I own a 2100 sq ft diamond ring prairie style house built out of most precious materials that can't be gotten anymore by artist Frank Garski. This house flows. See: http://frankgarske.com/
- —Guest Walt
3 Best House Styles
- 1. Craftsman 2. Royal Barry Wills Cape 3. Cotswold Thatched Roof Cottage ~~ Call me the Duke of Dunstable
- The Luis Barragan house is my favourite. It is so awesome.
- —Guest Bobby mc Bobberson
- I love Victorian homes. They remind me of classy old ladies wearing pearls. I have no use for modern homes with plastic siding and three-car garages attached.
- —Guest Kami
Federalist Style House
- The look of size is impressive in itself but the appearance of sturdiness and durability says home. Even Katrina couldn't blow this house down.
- —Guest Greg
My Bestest House Style!
- Bungalow Style- Especially the little ones with those big single entry style door. I also love the Double Dutch door style!
- —Guest Wet behind.... the ears
- Greek Revival is American architecture at its best--a style that is distinctly American for Americans. Chaste and classical, while formal and informal, yet beautiful and timeless are just a few of its many attractive qualities.
- —Guest marco polo