- "To be an architect, you have to be an optimist...You have to be a realist, but you have to be an optimist."
~Sir Norman Foster, Architect's Challenge: A Sliver of a Space, in the New York Times
- "A great architect is not made by way of a brain nearly so much as he is made by way of a cultivated, enriched heart."
~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted in Visionaries: The 20th Century's 100 Most Inspirational Leaders by Satish Kumar, Freddie Whitefield
Now, it's your turn. What qualities do you think it takes to be a great architect? Optimism? Realism? Persistence? Insanity? Tell us!
- You must be an artist person, because architecture is a part of art....
- —Guest poorya
- Imagination, creativity, and passion. Having these three qualities is very important in an architect. Architecture is art.
- —Guest pooop
Jack of all Trades
- What qualities make a great architect? The one who possesses a great understanding of other fields other than arts and architecture.
- —Guest deo mark
Practice and Development
- Always practice and develop your skills to make your iterations of your ideas clear and thought-provoking.
- —Guest Rachael
- An architect must have interest in the surroundings. When others see land, you, as an architect, should see a plan, ideas, and design.
- —Guest abigail
- Architects must perceive the picture of a design and be very imaginative, communicate effectively, have positive thoughts, and a lot of doubts about a design.
- —Guest happy
Aspiration and Inspiration
- An Architect is he who believes in himself and brings out the very best of him.
- —Guest Ahmad Daddee
Sticking to your guns
- What qualities make a great architect? Never give up on something if it seems too hard. That would only show that you are weak and not committed.
- —Guest Dani-oregon
Be a good architect!
- I think being a good architect means getting inspired not just to do the first thing that pops up in your mind, but to think better and think outside the box!
- —Guest Josh
- "Anyone can create. It takes a great mind and experience to be an Architect." Mario Tur
- —Guest Mario Tur
A Walk in Imagination
- The best way that I experience it is to live in imagination - in that space you want to design. Calculate your next moves - what you need or what the master needs....Van Gogh said, "First I dream my painting, then I paint my dreams."
- —Guest ilonette
Just Flow With It
- What qualities make a great architect? One's mind needs to be free, open, and relate with the environment. Be bold, think beyond your limit. Explore the world. Use the physical to connect with the spirit realm and let the spirit bring forth that which is unseen to be seen and to serve humanity, bearing in mind that to sustain our environment is a major call for all.
- —Guest kenny
- To be successful as an architect, I have found I should have sacrificed everything to earn the highest possible degree, located to a state or country where the laws and population support your conceptual ideas, and perhaps ideology, and where there are not too many architects already in practice.
- —Guest Architect
What qualities make a great architect?
- Architecture takes passion and dedication together with creativity.
- —Guest Tylor riddle
What's an Architect
- I'm in 8th grade and want to be an architect. I'm good at math and science and PE. Do i have the characteristics of becoming an architect?
- —Guest Christian