Like many post office buildings, the Cañon City Post Office & Federal Building was constructed during the Great Depression. Built in 1933, the building is an example of late Italianate Renaissance Revival. The block building, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (1/22/1986, 5FN.551), has foyer floors made of marble. Since 1992, the historic building has been the Fremont Center for the Arts—a good example of adaptive reuse.
Source: "Our History," Freemone Center for the Arts [accessed June 30, 2012]