- Opening Date: September 16, 2011
- Size: 285,000 square feet (total)
- Performance Spaces: Muriel Kauffman Theatre (18,900-square-foot house; 1,800 seats); Helzberg Hall (16,800-square-foot house; 1,600 seats); Brandmeyer Great Hall (15,000 square feet); Terrace (113,000 square feet)
- Architect: Moshe Safdie / Safdie Architects
- Original Vision: a sketch on a napkin
- Southern Exposure: An open shell of glass (roof and walls) welcomes the city to artistic performance and surrounds the patrons with Kansas City weather. The Terrace, with steel cables visible, mimics a stringed instrument.
- Northern Exposure: Arched, wave-like walls covered in stainless steel, from the ground upward.
- Construction Materials: 40,000 square feet of glass; 10.8 million pounds of structural steel; 25,000 cubic yards of concrete; 1.93 million pounds of plaster; 27 steel cables
Kauffman Center Website at www.kauffmancenter.org/ >>
Source: Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts Fact Sheet [www.kauffmancenter.org/wp-content/uploads/Kauffman-Center-Fact-Sheet_FINAL_1.18.11.pdf accessed June 20, 2012]