This review is based on Instant Architect Version 12. Have you tried a different version? Tell us your experiences with architecture software.
What Can You Do With Instant Architect?
- Draw floor plans
- Design houses, rooms, decks, kitchens, bathrooms, and garden beds
- Create 2D and 3D images
- View houses and rooms from many perspectives
- Arrange furniture and plan interior decoration
- Choose from a menu of options for siding materials, landscape plants, cabinets, appliances, furnishings, and other features
- Choose colors from a palette of options
- Add labels and other text to your designs
- Estimate building costs
- Modify and save your plans
What CAN'T You Do With Instant Architect?
- Browse an extended library of sample house plans
- Browse color palettes from multiple paint manufacturers
- View online galleries of projects by other users
- Get design tips and suggestions
- Design complex electrical, plumbing, heating, and cooling systems
- Add voice and sounds to your designs
- Create animated views of your project
- Import your own photos for textures, patterns, and details
- Check your design against national building codes
How Easy is Instant Architect?
The House Builder Wizard asked me to choose a from a series of options such as number of floors, overall building shape, building dimensions, and roof style. Once these basics were established, I could could add windows, doors, stairs, and other architectural features.
With a click of my mouse, I could switch to 3D views and see my design from different perspectives. A paintbrush option let me choose siding materials, landscape details, paint colors, interior cabinetry, carpeting, and other features.
At times, I wished for more options for colors, shapes, and details. However, the default menu of options provided enough details to create a sophisticated home design.
Following a similar process, I could also use Instant Architect to design a kitchen or bathroom, build a deck, plan garden beds, or simply arrange furniture.
The Bottom Line
IMSI TurboFLOORPLAN Instant Architect lacks some "bells and whistles," but offers instant gratification for the novice. Using Instant Architect, I was able to create floor plans and an impressive elevation drawing in less than an hour.
- Windows® 2000, XP, or Vista
- 500 Mhz or higher processor
- 750 MB free hard disk space
- 512 MB RAM (1 GB Recommended)
Instant Architect is an affordable software program available on CD or via download. The cost is about $30, and sometimes much less. To find the best deal, click the "compare prices" button below.