Edward Tuckerman Potter was known for designing grand Romanesque churches, but his design for the Clemens home was bright and whimsical. With brilliantly colored bricks, geometric patterns, and elaborate trusses, the 19-room mansion became a hallmark of what came to be known as the Stick Style of architecture. After living in the house for several years, the Clemens hired Louis Comfort Tiffany and Associated Artists to decorate the first floor with stencils and wallpapers.
Taking the pen name Mark Twain, Samuel Clemens wrote his most famous novels in this house, including The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The house was sold in 1903. Samuel Clemens died in 1910.
|The Mark Twain House||The Mark Twain House - Dining Room||Mark Twain House - Library||The Mark Twain House - Conservatory|
|The Mark Twain House - Mahogany Room||Stick Style Porch at the Mark Twain House||Leaf Motifs at the Mark Twain House||Conservatory and Turret at the Mark Twain House|
|Decorative Brackets at the Mark Twain House||Turrets and Bay Windows at the Mark Twain House||Mark Twain House - Billard Room||Brackets and Trusses at the Mark Twain House|