Studio Gang Architects' Aqua Tower may have been architect's Jeanne Gang's breakthrough building. After its successful 2010 opening, in 2011 Gang became the first architect in over a decade to win a MacArthur Foundation "Genius" Award.
Facts About Aqua Tower:
- 82 stories
- 1.9 million square feet
- hotel in first 20 floors; apartments and condominiums in top 60 floors
- green roof
- irregularly placed terraces bring the outside in, provide weather shielding for adjoining tenants, and shape the building's look
- received the 2010 Honor Award, Distinguished Building, AIA Chicago
- named Skyscraper of the Year, Emporis, in 2009
Form Follows the Function:
Studio Gang describes Aqua's look:
"Its outdoor terraces—which differ in shape from floor to floor based on criteria such as views, solar shading and dwelling size/type—create a strong connection to the outdoors and the city, as well as form the tower's distinctive undulating appearance."
Chicago blogger Blair Kamin reports in Cityscapes (February 15, 2011) that the Aqua Tower's developer, Magellan Development LLC, is seeking certification from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED). Kamin notes that the developer of Gehry's NYC building—New York By Gehry—is not.
To live here, see www.lifeataqua.com >>
The Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel Chicago occupies the lower floors.
- Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel Chicago, a Dazzling, Affordable Luxury Hotel
- Radisson Blu Chicago Photos
- Studio Gang Architects: Aqua Tower, 2009
- Reveal: Studio Gang Architects, 2011