1. Home
Send to a Friend via Email

Discuss in my forum

Architecture Acronymns

What do the letters after your architect's name mean?


Member of the American Institute of Architects. Also see FAIA.

Member of the Association of Licensed Architects

Member of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers

Member of the American Society of Interior Designers

Member of the American Society for Industrial Security

Member of the American Society of Landscape Architects

Member of the American Society of Plumbing Engineers

Certified Building Official. A CBO is a municipal building code enforcement official who has passed certification exams. Some parts of the United States require that code enforcement officials hold CBO certification.

Certified Construction Contract Administrator. To be certified, the construction professional must have passed CSI (Construction Specification Institute) tests to demonstrate ability in administering all phases of construction contracts.

Certified Construction Manager. This person has education and work experience that meets the criteria of Construction Manager Association of America.

Certified Construction Specifier. To be certified, the construction professional must pass examinations offered by the Construction Specification Institute (CSI).

Certified in Plumbing Engineering

Certified Professional Building Designer. Professional building designers , also known as home designers, specialize in designing single family homes, light frame buildings, and decorative facades. The CPBD title means that the designer has completed training courses, practiced building design for at least six years, and passed a rigorous certification exam. A CPBD is not necessarily a licensed architect. However, a CPBD is usually qualified to design an uncomplicated, traditional home.

Member of the Construction Specification Institute

Engineer in Training. Graduates of engineering programs who have passed licensing exams but do not yet have the required four years experience to be a licensed Professional Engineer. In New York, EITs are commonly called Intern Engineers ." In Florida they are called Engineer Interns.

Fellow of the American Institute of Architects. This is a highly regarded honorary title granted to only a small percentage of AIA member architects.

Member of the International Association of Lighting Designers

Member of the International Interior Design Association

Leadership in Energy and Environment Design. This title indicates that a project or a design professional meets standards established by members of the US Green Building Council. Accredited LEED architects have passed examinations that demonstrate their understanding of "green" (environmentally friendly) building practices and concepts.

Certified by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards. To be certified, a registered architect must meet rigorous standards for education, training, testing, and ethics. Not all licensed architects are NCARB certified.

Member of the National Council of Engineering Examiners

National Council for Interior Design Qualification

Member of the National Fire Protection Association

Member of the National Society of Professional Engineers

Registered Architect. This architect has completed an internship and passed the Architect Registration Examinations (ARE). These challenging exams are offered by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) and are generally necessary for architectural licensing in the United States and Canada.

Professional Engineer. This engineer has completed the training, exams, and field work required to be fully licensed. PE certification is required for any engineer in the United States who works on projects that will affect the public.

More about hiring an architect:

Related Video
Victorian Architecture: Is Your House an Italian?
Is Your House a Queen?

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.