A Guide for Travelers to ItalyAncient Rome and the Italian Renaissance gave Italy a rich architectural heritage that influenced building design around the world. Follow these links for an architectural tour of Italy. Also find travel tips and resources to help you plan your Italian trip.
Top Ten Cities in Italy:
Must-See Buildings in Italy:
Out of all the wonders Italy has to offer, which are not to be missed? Here are our top picks.
- The Roman Colosseum
- The Roman Pantheon
- Arch of Septimius Severus in Rome
- Alba Fucens (The Abruzzo) Ancient Settlement
- Ancient Pompeii
- Cathedral in L'Aquila
- Basilica San Marco in Venice
- Trastevere Church in Rome
- Orvieto Cathedral
- The Sistine Chapel
- The Vatican Museums
Important Periods and Styles in Italy:
Great Architects of Italy:
Styles Inspired by Italy:
Plan Your Trip to Italy:
About Architecture in Italy:
The period we know as the Italian Renaissance, or reawakening, began in the 14th century. For the next two centuries, a keen interest in ancient Rome and Greece brought a creative flourishing in art and architecture. The writings of Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio revolutionized European architecture and continues to shape the way we build today.
- Architecture in Italy, 1500-1600 by Wolfgang Lotz, The Yale University Press Pelican
History of Art, 1995
- Architecture in Italy, 1400-1500 by Ludwig H. Heydenreich, The Yale University Press
Pelican History of Art, 1996
- Renaissance Perfected: Architecture, Spectacle, and Tourism in Fascist Italy by D.
Medina Lasansky, Pennsylvania State Univ Press, 2005
- Italy: Modern Architectures in History by Diane Ghirardo, Reaktion Books, 2013
- Pride in Modesty: Modernist Architecture and the Vernacular Tradition in Italy by
Michelangelo Sabatino, University of Toronto Press, 2011