1. Home
Send to a Friend via Email

Discuss in my forum

What Is a Battlement or a Crenellation? What are Embrasures and Merlons?


Illustration of castle battlement (crenellation) from ArtToday.com

Illustration of a castle battlement (crenellation).


On a castle or fort, a battlement or crenellation is a parapet with open spaces for shooting. The raised portions of a battlement ("A" in illustration) are called merlons, and the openings ("B") are called embrasures. Masonry buildings in the Gothic Revival style may have architectural decoration which resembles battlements.

Also Known As:


Alternate Spellings:


E: Architecture Terms Starting With E

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.