Find used and antique items for your old house restoration... or for modern homes with a historic flavor.
Time Required: Shopping can take days or years... Enjoy the process!
- Search online directories for Architectural Salvage.
- Check the yellow pages of your local telephone directory for Building Materials - Used, or Salvage and Surplus.
- Phone Demolition Contractors. Ask where they take their salvaged building materials.
- Contact your local historic preservation society. Ask about salvagers who specialize in antique building parts.
- Do business over the Internet. View photographs and inquire about shipping costs.
- Take advantage of online messsage boards and forums for buying, selling and trading.
- Place classified ads in magazines that specialize in old house restoration.
- Visit demolition sites. Check those dumpsters!
- Keep an eye on garage sales, estate sales and auctions.
- Some historical societies operate nonprofit salvage warehouses and other services for old-house restoration.
- Most salvage centers do not operate 9 to 5 hours. Always call before making the trip.