Does your house seem bland and uninteresting? Here are some ways to add charm and character. Be creative... and have fun!
Time Required: Go slow - Style cannot be rushed!
- For an inexpensive solution, give that blah house a fresh coat of paint using several accent colors.
- Remove outdated aluminum siding. Wonderful features may be hidden beneath.
- Consider using a new surface treatment such as stucco or stone relief.
- Place new windows in existing openings. Or, fill in some windows and enlarge others.
- Add window and door moldings, cornices and other details.
- Transform the landscaping. Plant new trees or hedges.
- Add interest with shutters, awnings and arches.
- Build a covered entry way.
- Build a deck, covered patio or porch.
- Open interior ceilings to create vaulting heights.
- Change the entire profile with a raised roof or gabled dormers.
- Build a new addition to the front or side of your existing home. Add a porch. Enclose a porch.
- Add character through elimination. Change the entire profile of your house by removing something already there -- a tree or shrubbery that hides a charming exterior; an addition that throws off the symmetry; a modern skylight or metal door that seemed like a good idea at the time.
- Keep it simple: Too many ornaments or an oversized addition will overwhelm your house.
- Preserve light and space: Make sure that new additions don't fill your entire lot.
- Consider resale value: Costly additions won't raise your home's price above neighborhood standards.