Ever wonder what your house used to look like before modern 'improvements'? These handy tips will help you rediscover the original floor plan.
Time Required: Locating old plans can take days, weeks, or even months
- Ask your Realtor. Real estate agents often know a great deal about local builders and housing styles.
- Visit your neighbors. Their home may be a mirror of your own.
- Consult your Building Inspector. Ask about building permits filed for your home.
- Examine fire insurance maps for your neighborhood. They may contain clues about the shape and structure of your home.
- Browse historic plan books.
- Read old advertisements.
- Hire an architectural investigator. By studying your home, a trained professional can recreate the original plans.
- In the early 1900s and before, builders rarely drew up detailed specifications. Early plans often contained general statements such as 'build in the usual way.'
- Your town may have a historian who can advise you in your search.