FEMA's list of potential natural disasters exhausts me—and some say that climate change makes severe weather inevitable. As we mourn the horrific outcomes of recent tornadoes, let's explore the building choices that we DO have.
Protecting Your Community from Disaster:
- Storm-Proof Your Home
- Tsunami-Proof Building
- High-Tech Solutions for Flood Control
- Earthquakes, Earthquake Engineering, and Seismic Design
- Protect Your Home and Property from Wildfire
- California Residential Code requires fire sprinklers in all new home construction
- Wind testing shows how concrete walls hold up in a hurricane
- Monolithic Domes can survive tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, fire, and insects.
Above: Maplesville community storm shelter, shaped like a Tambour-style mantle clock. Photo ID 54767 by Brian Glaviano/Grieg Powers/FEMA.